From: banders...@earthlink.net
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 9:56 AM
To: liveaboard@liveaboardonline.com
Subject: Re: [Liveaboard] exploding stuffRe: pvc pipe

Ahoy All,

I am back on email, at least for today...

I used some PEX type stuff, Shark Bite from Lowe's I think, lately to fix a
cracked T fitting (a common problem due to an error in mixing the plastic
of the fitting) in my polybutyl galley plumbing.

It worked OK but it is important to cut the pipe square.  The fitting uses
an o-ring for the seal and a toothed ring to grab the pipe.  I suppose if
the o-ring leaks even a tiny bit the liquid could damage the toothed ring
if it has the ability to do so.

For my black-water system I use PVC pipe and some hose clamped over the
pipe.  I have had some clogging problems over the years but pump-out boats
and pressure from the ship's water system cleared them.  The only one I
actually saw was from wild rice husks. There have been no leaks and no odor.

S/V Bandersnatch
Lying Julington Creek FL

> > The website specifically cautions against using it with any supply
"...where
> > the system contains...ferrous corrodible components..." .

To search the archives
http://www.mail-archive.com/liveaboard@liveaboardnow.org

The Mailman Users Guide can be found here
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/index.html