DavidSpickett wrote: > The original idea was to guard the support behind a CMake variable simply > because this is a new feature. If you think it's unnecessary to have that > guard right now, I'm happy to remove it!
I can see the motivation for a ["chicken bit"](https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chicken_bit), and we have found them useful in the past, but I don't think it's needed unless we find fortran support is breaking other languages frequently. We are not that long after a release, so there's plenty of time for the main branch to stabalise, and if we have this chicken bit that hardly anyone enables (not more than 2 bots anyway), we actually have less chance to find issues. If Fortran support was expected to overturn a fundamental assumption, like bytes being 3 bits for example, then sure, a global switch would be useful. Though I would prefer it be a runtime setting because... > Just to clarify, having this variable doesn't strictly require building Flang > alongside LLDB. It just means that users who aren't building Flang will need > to explicitly opt-in (set the variable to ON) to build the Fortran support. It would be really annoying to hear "lldb has better fortran support now!" and go to my local software repo and get the latest build and realise oh, this one doesn't have fortran support. Why? Because they didn't turn on an option that doesn't actually change anything about lldb really. Like, literally all they had to do was type `LLDB_DEFAULT_ENABLE_FORTRAN=ON`, and it would have saved me a few hours building my own lldb. So if we have massive problems then we can add an opt out before the next release branch happens, if we don't, then loads more people get to use the fortran support, more conveniently. And if/when we do add a build time option for it, there must be a way to check if it was enabled at build time - https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/218859. I know I'm labouring this point but hopefully you see my intent here: * Prevent Flang being a dependency of LLDB for as long as possible. * Enable as many people as possible to be able to use this new support out of the box (wherever they happen to find that box). https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/207764 _______________________________________________ lldb-commits mailing list [email protected] https://lists.llvm.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/lldb-commits
