I believe that for purposes of building distribution packages you
should use the out-of-tree mode of building lldb. This means, you
build llvm and clang separately, and then point your LLDB build to
their installation path with LLDB_PATH_TO_LLVM_BUILD and
LLDB_PATH_TO_CLANG_BUILD variables. This way you can avoid building
llvm/clang twice, you can have a separate package for each logical
component of llvm and you can make lldb optional for your users (e.g.
have only clang installed normally, if user chooses to install lldb,
it will automatically pull in clang if needed). In this mode "make
install" should install only the lldb components, which should be
correctly linked to the already-installed llvm libraries.

That said, I can't guarantee that this mode will work for you
out-of-the-box. We occasionally get patches to fix it up, but I don't
know anyone who is using it extensively. However, I think this would
be the best way forward for you and I'm prepared yo help you out if
you choose to go that way.

What do you think about that?

pl