If it's not too much work, I think the extra bit of noise will not be
a problem. But I don't think it is really necessary either.

I assume the actual flip will be a small change that we can back out
easily if we notice troubles... After a sufficient grace period we can
remove the old formatter altogether and hopefully simplify the code
somewhat.

pl