> On Aug 11, 2016, at 3:40 PM, Zachary Turner <ztur...@google.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 3:28 PM Greg Clayton <gclay...@apple.com> wrote:
>
> > -          Will we stop putting m_ at the front of class ivars and g_ at
> > the front of globals?
>
> I believe these make things much clearer and I would love to see llvm and
> clang adopt some way to identify member variables. "m_" might be too long,
> but at least a leading "_" would be nice. I don't think there is anything in
> the LLVM coding conventions that mentions how to name member variables is
> there?
> Unfortunately there is.  The LLVM rule is: everything is camel case.  member
> variables, local variables, global variables, it's all the same.  And that
> also means you can't distinguish between members, globals, and locals by
> looking at them because there's no difference.  I don't think anyone is
> particularly fond of that rule, but it is what it is.  It's one of those
> things where I really wish the LLVM rule was different (and I think everyone
> else does too), but it's followed regardless.  I'm not opposed to doing
> something different, but if we do we should minimize that difference as much
> as possible.  Note that _ followed by an uppercase letter are reserved
> identifiers in C++.  So if we're going to veer from LLVM here, maybe camel
> case *followed* by an _ would be a reasonable compromise.

I don't really care about global variables, but member variables, I would love
to still be able to tell them apart. If we go camel case, the maybe just a
leading lower case "m". "m_foo" would become "mFoo"?

> > -          Will we stop using _sp and _up on the end of shared and unique
> > pointers?
>
> Again, this makes things clearer in the code and I would prefer to keep these.
>
> Personally I've never been a fan of the _sp and _up suffixes, and they also
> kind of clash with camel case naming.  So if we move to camel case, then
> seeing something like Debugger_sp is going to look really weird to me for a
> variable name.  Seems like we should just write DebuggerPtr or something.
> Whether it's shared or unique or weak, meh.  code completion tools can tell
> you that kind of stuff I guess.

If we go camel case then debugger_sp would become DebuggerSP.

> Just my 2c though, we might be getting ahead of ourselves anyway since we're
> not talking about variable renaming yet.

Agreed. Lets start with 80 columns and the other formatting stuff to start
with.

> BTW, clang-tidy can find and fix variable naming style issues, so if we
> decide to do this, there are still tools that can help us.

Sounds good.