On 03/11/2021 14:53, David Spickett wrote:
Yeah, I think we can start with that.

No need to consider this now but it could easily be adapted to
qemu-system as well. Spinning up qemu-system for Cortex-M debug might
be a future use case. Once you've got a "run this program and connect
to this port" platform you can sub in almost anything that talks GDB.

I actually did consider this, but it was not clear to me how this would tie in to the rest of lldb. The "run qemu and connect to it" part could be reused, of course, but what else? What would be the "executable" that we "run" in system mode. Is it the kernel image? Disk image?

I have a feeling there wouldn't be much added value in this "platform" over say a python command which implements the start-up dance. OTOH, a proper user-mode platform enables one to hook in to all the usual lldb goodies like specifying the application's command line arguments, environment variables, can help with locating shared libraries, etc.

pl