On 27 April 2015 at 21:23, Bill Fischofer <bill.fischo...@linaro.org> wrote:

> IPCs should be short messages used either as "shoulder taps" or for brief
> communication. If a larger data structure is needed, a pointer to it can be
> passed ar s the IPC message,

Sender and receiver would normally not be located in the same address space.
Also passing a pointer to some external data structure creates the problem
of knowing when and how to free that data structure.

> so again the interpretation of the IPC message contents would generally be
> up to the application, with perhaps some basic message type decoding
> provided by the APIs.

I think an IPC API needs to give the user the ability to send messages to
different endpoints. Also the receiver must be able to identify the sender
of a message. Message structure and content should be outside the
responsibilities of the IPC API.