Hi,

I'd like to complement Christophe's answers.

Today, Linaro produces an ***API*** and a reference implementation so that
silicon vendors can produce high performance, production grade ODP on their
platform.

So I would encourage you to use the version that is compatible with your
hardware (you will find it on the right hand side of the downloads page).

As a reference implementation, odp-linux (left hand side of the downloads)
is essentially a tool for silicon vendors to check the detailed desired
behavior of the API. It is NOT meant to be high performance. It contains
helper libraries that are NOT part of the standard API to facilitate
creation of sample applications. As a matter of fact, odph_linux_process_fork
is NOT part of ODP API. it is an odp-linux library function that you may
NOT find in production ready environments (Cavium, Freescale, Kalray, TI).

An "ODP thread" is an abstract construct. Kalray processor is some form of
GPU, not CPU, and has no traditional operating system (no Linux, no
FreeBSD...). The closer notion they have would be a process but is not even
exactly true. Despite this particular environment, Kalrayhave been able to
implement ODP - it would be technically not feasible to introduce DPDK on
this environment because of memory model and absence of full OS. So
generally speaking "ODP thread" creation must be implementation dependent.

That said,

Linaro is now going to produce one additional implementation of ODP API:
odp-cloud. This version will be high performance, production grade,
dedicated to cloud environments (both in host and guest environments). This
implementation will assume odp-threads are posix threads and include
additional standard helpers to manage them. Being part of the helper
library means that developers can still use private helpers to create ODP
threads the way they want. On the first release (date not publicly stated)
it will provide the software vendors with a complete self contained
environment for both ARM and x86 processors on Linux. Further releases may
include FreeBSD.

FF

--
[image: Linaro] <http://www.linaro.org/>
François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Linaro Networking Group*