On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Honnappa Nagarahalli <
honnappa.nagaraha...@linaro.org> wrote:

> Bill mentioned that the packets are flying through net-mdev, good news :)

I mentioned that Ilias and Mykyta have gotten packet I/O through net_mdev.
I'll let them characterize whether it's "flying". We're still in early days
with this work. :)

> I see clear distinction in what needs to be done.
>
> 1) DDF - scanning/enumerating the devices, matching the drivers for
> the devices etc

We need to decide how much, if any, of this work is actually needed as it
is duplicative of what Linux already does.

> 2) Driver/packet I/O - Device initialization/configuration and actual
> packet send/recv

This is the main thing we need.

> As the discussion on DDF continues, I think we can work on 2). We
> could enable/disable the packet I/O ops during compilation based on
> the NIC in the platform. For ex: if the platform has x710 card, we can
> enable the respective packet I/O during compilation. This portion of
> the code will remain more or less intact irrespective of the outcome
> of 1).
>
> The enable/disable of the packet I/O during compilation can be removed
> once we have the automation from 1)

Once a device is named (something the application does when it calls
odp_pktio_open()), it either needs to be connected via net_mdev or else
have ownership transferred to it. In either case this is an OS
responsibility. The only question is whether we use existing system calls
or if new ones are needed to do this.