Actually, I don't have anything fundamentally against the idea of
commons-logging (encapsulating the logging implementation behind a generic
interface), but the implementation has had and continues to have issues
(someone jump in here).  You can search the archive for this list and the
log4j-user list for details.  Ceki has a web page on the subject, the url of
which I don't have handy.

-Mark