Dan.

Are you aware of SLF4J API which already incorporates a similar approach?

See for example the Logger class:

  http://www.slf4j.org/api/org/slf4j/Logger.html

At 09:14 PM 8/29/2005, Dan Bush wrote:
[cut]
USAGE 2: (SUGGESTED EXTENDED API)
 ============================

logger.debug("ci:[{0}]", ci);

Here I am using a wrapper method which does the isDebugEnabled()
within and then java.text.MessageFormat.format(String pattern,
Object[] arguments) if necessary. Of course I over load the signature
for convenience as well. For example debug:

debug(String message, Object [])
debug(String message, Object obj0)
debug(String message, Object obj0, Object obj1)
debug(String message, Object obj0, Object obj1, Object obj2)

Throwable ...

- Dan

--
Ceki Gülcü