On May 26, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I'm not sure what the appropriate way to respond to all the comments is going
> to be. Some of them I agree with and will make changes when I get the chance.
> Many of them just need an explanation or I disagree with the comment - not
> sure what to do about those. For example, in Logger -
>
> @doubt All the isEnabled methods could be pushed into a filter interface.
> Not sure of the utility of having isEnabled
> *  be able to examine the message pattern and parameters.
>
> 1. The Filter interface doesn't return a boolean but ACCEPT, DENY or NEUTRAL
> where isEnabled is true or false. Filters operate in a chained fashion until
> either ACCEPT or DENY is returned, so adding isEnabled to that interface
> doesn't make sense.
> 2. The value of having the the message and parameters is for performance.
> Creating the LogEvent isn't cheap. So it is essential to have global filters
> operate on the parameters directly. Of course, all the variations could be
> paired down but that would require user's to enter a null parameter where it
> isn't needed. I prefer to make the interface easier for the user, not the
> implementor.
>
> How should I add this to the @doubt?

I'm playing by ear, but if there was @doubt that warranted a discussion, then
I'd file a JIRA issue, replace the @doubt with a @issue with the JIRA issue and
move the discussion to the JIRA issue.

"a filter interface" didn't specifically mean the current Filter, just a whole
lot of methods on Logger are related to deciding whether a whether a logging
request would be processed and those conceptually could be isolated into one
interface.