See the LogMF or LogSF classes.  LogMF used MessageFormat type format
specifiers ("{1}") while LogSF uses SLF4J format specifiers ("{}") .

varargs were introduced in Java 5 and have an unavoidable array
construction/destruction expense even if the level is not reached.  The LogMF
and LogSF classes approximate the usability of varargs by having a lot of
different signatures.