You described the "our changes" (not "my changes") and that you were given
permission, both of those suggest that it isn't a simple contribution of your
personal original work, hence the likely need for the IP clearance process at
the Incubator PMC. If you think it is debatable whether the IP clearance
process applies, I'd ask on incuba...@apache.org and cc log4j-dev.