Because Log4j users are far more inclined to want to use the formatting we
provide?  What your change does is effectively disallow users from using our
exception formatting when logging to the servletContext.

Also, this breaks the current behavior.

You really need to rethink this and provide an option or something on the
Appender to allow the user to control this.

Please revert what you have committed so it doesn’t go out if I can get to
doing the release tonight.

Ralph