Howdy,
To view them, any text editor or browser will do.  If you specifically
want some prettier output, check out the HTMLAppender.  Or if you want
to get arbitrarily fancy, you can play with some XMLAppender type stuff
and write your own transformator.

I have a conceptual problem with the second part of your question: why
do you want to edit log files?  In general, I think log files should be
read-only to us humans ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Log4j.