It all depends on how you name your loggers. The common way to name your loggers is, of course,

private static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(MyClass.class.getName());

this would end up being called something like:

org.myorganization.mypackage.mysubpackage.MyClass

to have every class in "mysubpackage" have logging enabled for the level "debug" I'd do:

<appender name="A2" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
<param name="File" value="c:\main.log" />
<param name="Append" value="false" />
<param name="ConversionPattern" value="%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n"/>
</layout>
</appender>

<logger name="org.myorganization.mypackage.mysubpackage" additivity="false">
<appender-ref ref="MyFileAppender"/>
<level value="debug"/>
</logger>

Notice the additivity="false". If I didn't have that, I'd also be logging what the <root> logger or any other logger this logger might be inheriting from had defined to log.

Is that what you were looking for?

Jake