Hi,

we've had the same problem as described by Adam Hardy in thread

http://www.mail-archive.com/log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05667.html
        "Can't control logging via root - get all msgs despite setting
priority".
I still don't feel this behaviour be plausible.
If levels are not inherited but assigned to loggers, why don't ancestor
loggers check their level before printing a forwarded log request?
Example:
        log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, A1
        log4j.logger.myDefinedLogger=DEBUG, A2
>From my point of view,
        myDefinedLogger.info("just an info msg");
should print in A2 but not in A1 since ERROR > INFO > DEBUG.
Nevertheless, it prints in both A1 and A2. From my point of view this
violates the basic selection rule (as stated in "Short introduction to
log4j").
What's the idea behind?

Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards
Alexander Ortloff
Siemens AG
Transportation Systems
Rail Automation