Hi,
You need to use a DailyRollingFileAppender.  You'll get the rollover and
file naming (no overwriting).  See the javadoc for
org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender and examples in the mailing
list archives for this list.

Unless I completely misunderstood your question?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics