Hi Keith,

Thanks for the email.  I wil tell you what i did (?and you can see what i
am doing wrong when i am using chainsaw)

chainsaw is bundled inside the log4j.jar

The log4j.jar is in this dir "C:\Java\jakarta-log4j-1.2.8\dist\lib"
SO i am running the command as you said:

C:\Java\jakarta-log4j-1.2.8\dist\lib>java -cp C:
\Java\jakarta-log4j-1.2.8\dist\lib -Dchainsaw.port=4445
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.Main

>From here but again for some bizarre reason i get:

org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/Main

Any further ideas? do i need to type in the command from another dir ?

I also set a "CLASSPATH" environment variable on my computer to point to
the log4j.jar.
see below

(See attached file: system.JPG)

                      "Keith Hatton"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "Log4J (E-mail)" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      tems.com>                cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: log4j with chainsaw

                      17/03/2003 10:40

                      Please respond to

                      "Log4J Users

                      List"

Right, now at least it is the right class it is complaining about!
So your CLASSPATH environment variable must be set wrong.

Either
 you need to set your CLASSPATH environment variable to include the
chainsaw stuff (not sure which library that is in - is it included in
log4j.jar?)
or
 use java -cp <your classpath> -D<property name=value>
org.apache.log4j.cbainsaw.Main

Hope this helps
Keith