Howdy,

> this may be more a tomcat question so appologies if it is off-topic.
> I want to plcae the log file under %TOMCAT_HOME%\logs (where all the
>tomcat logs go).

Reading the archives of this list or the tomcat-user list would've
revealed answers, as this is a fairly common question.

> I have defined in web.xml:
>
>  <servlet>
>     <servlet-name>MyServlet</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>foo.bar.MyServlet</servlet-class>
>    <init-param>
>      <param-name>logfile</param-name>
>      <param-value>logs.txt</param-value>
>    </init-param>
>  </servlet>
>
>and in the servlet:
>
>        String logFile = getInitParameter("logfile");
>        appender = new FileAppender(layout, logFile);

You have a number of options, including:

- Setting param-value in web.xml to be an ant token, e.g.
<param-value>@logFilePath@</param-value>
and have Ant fill in this token from whatever properly you want, e.g.
$CATALINA_HOME/logs/logs.txt, when it's deploying web.xml.

- Adding -DCATALINA_HOME=$CATALINA_HOME to your JAVA_OPTS in
$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh so that you can get Catalina home via
System.getProperty(), then do
String logFile = System.getProperty("CATALINA_HOME") + "/logs/" +
getInitParameter("logFile");

- Using a log4j configuration file, rather than programmatic
configuration, and having something like
log4j.myAppender=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.myAppneder.File=${CATALINA_HOME}/logs/logs.txt

There are other options as well.

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.