-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 3:49 PM
To: Log4J Users List

When you say version "5.0", do you literally mean version "5.0" or the
latest version of the 5.0 series which is 5.0.7?  I tested on 5.0.7 and
don't get the message at all if log4j.jar is *not* in common/lib.  I do get
the message (but actually a slightly different one) if log4j.jar *is* in
common/lib.  However, I can fix this by adding the following log4j.xml file
to common/classes....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/";
debug="false" threshold="debug">
     <appender name="A1" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
             <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%-4r [%t] %-5p %c %x -
%m%n"/>
         </layout>
     </appender>

     <root>
         <level value="info"/>
         <appender-ref ref="A1"/>
     </root>
</log4j:configuration>

I suggest upgrading to Tomcat-5.0.7 if you haven't already and add the
above log4j.xml to common/classes.

Jake

At 03:24 PM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Yes it is a clean install (version 5.0).  I decided that since I could get
>logging to work with v4.1.27 that I would re-try v5.0 again.
>
>One thing that I noticed was that there was log4j path information in my
>classpath, so I took that out.  I rebooted the machine and tried to start
>Tomcat again.  I got the same appender messages.

class="org.apache.log4j.lf5.LF5Appender">

> > >class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">

>class="org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender">
value="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"/>

> >(%F:%L)
> > >-

> >only.
> > >It
> >named

>only.
> >It
>named
> > >immediately

>It
> > >disclose
> >immediately

>It
> > >disclose
> >immediately

> > >For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >

> > >The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
It
> > >contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
> > >addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
> >disclose
> > >it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us
>immediately
> > >and then destroy it.

> >The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It
> >contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
> >addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
>disclose
> >it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us
immediately
> >and then destroy it.

>The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It
>contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
>addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
disclose
>it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately
>and then destroy it.

and then destroy it.