On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 03:43, Rishikesh Tembe wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks Phil and Jacob for your input.
>
> The problem was due to the existence of multiple versions of the jog4j.jar
> file. After I cleaned everything up, put the jar in WEB-INF/lib and the
> props file in WEB-INF/classes, everything worked!
>
> Has the format of the XML/props file been specfied anywhere? I couldn't
> find a list of supported properties in the manual...

Hi again,

All the supported properties for Appenders etc are the public setter
methods.  e.g. if an Appender has a setFile(..) method, then there is a
'file' property that can be set, so it's usually just a matter of
looking at the JavaDoc for the specific item in question.

For the other configuration elements I would recommend reading these
links:

* The Log4J FAQ Wiki -
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Log4JProjectPages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

(The first link is on XML Configuration)

* The Property Config Javadoc -
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/PropertyConfigurator.html

( the first link in the desc, doConfigure(...) contains the juicy bits.

Don't forget Ceki's book, https://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp
you'll be kicking goals in no time with this.

Paul Smith