Howdy,
It's not a stupid question, but (without knowing better) it seems like a
stupid requirement.

Since you're already using a custom appender, why not modify it to
"touch" i.e. create the log file in its activateOptions method?  Better
yet, add a configurable option to create an empty file.  It may be more
of a java.io issue then (maybe open the file, write an empty string to
it, flush the writer?).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

ConfigurableDailyRollingFileAppender
>which is derived from DailyRollingFileAppender. Now, this works in
>general...
>
>BUT... now they want me to change the logging behavior in a way that
the
>logging system generates log files even when there are NO logging
events
>(when the system wasn't doing anything). These files will of course be
>empty
>(in a shell I would do a "touch" and that's it) and - in other words -
>completely useless. That's what I told them also but they still want to
>have
>it. Is there any way to get log4j to generate empty log files even
without
>any logging events?
>
>By the way, these log files have to be generated every two minutes -
even
>if
>they are empty... Any ideas? I mean I could also set up a cron job that
>generates empty files every two minutes but I doubt that I'll get this
in
>sync with log4j.
>
>Thank you very much in advance for answering my "stupid" question.
>
>Regards, Stefan.

and notify the sender.  Thank you.