Maybe someone is interested.

Since I had all these problems with the autoconfig, I wrote a servlet to solve
that. The servlet does the following:
- searches for log4j.properties in web-inf/classes
  if it doesn't find it, it reverts to autoconfig
- it has a own worker thread for checking changes in this file
  (this is to enable a clean shutdown of the webapp)
- it can be forced to check immediately by executing the "doGet"
  (by opening de servlet URL in a browser)
- it can override the log4j settings by submitting a log4j file

The last point requires some additional information: when a browser is pointed
to the log4j, it will run the doGet and report back "file reexamined" plus it
will display a textarea and a submit button. By pasting the contents of a
log4j.properties file in the textarea and hitting submit, that configuration is
activated until either file actual file updated or a new file is posted.

Tom