What server do you use?  This should be part of your server documentation, but if it's Weblogic I might be able to tell you.  But that also depends on the server version.

Jake

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 00:00:37 +0530
 "Saurabh Agrawal" <saurabh.agra...@criticalpath.net> wrote:
Dear Jake,

Thanks for replying this query.
Could you please tell me how to configure the application to use child-first
classloading?

Regards,
Saurabh Agrawal

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:h...@visi.com] Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 10:54 PM
To: Log4J Users List; saurabh.agra...@criticalpath.net
Subject: Re: Cannot configure apache-log4j-extras-1.0 with apache-log4j-1
for time based log rotation

My guess is that you have classloading issues.  What server are you using?
I'll bet it is not configured to use child-first (a.k.a parent-last)
classloading and that the server has a copy of log4j.jar in the server
classpath.

In this situation, the log4j.jar in the server classpath would take
precedence to any log4j.jar you included in WEB-INF/lib and be unable to
find the rolling.RollingFileAppender located in the extras jar stored in
WEB-INF/lib.

You can resolve this either by placing the extras jar in the server
classpath alongside the log4j.jar already there or configure your
application to use child-first classloading.

Jake

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:27:11 +0530