On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:21 PM, David Nault
<david.na...@criticalpath.net>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We're using Log4j in a webapp and are looking at migrating to Log4j 2.
>
> We'd like to continue writing our log files to a location under the
> webapp's context root -- that is, under the directory returned by
> ServletContext.getRealPath("/"). This works very well in our QA environment
> where multiple versions of the webapp are deployed to a single Tomcat
> server.
>
> I've written a Lookup plugin that maps "${web:rootDir}" to the desired
> path. The problem is that the plugin is ignored when parsing the config
> file, specifically the "filename" attribute of a "File" appender. The
> BaseConfiguration object seems to be using a StrSubstitutor with a default
> Interpolator that only knows about the "sys" and "env" prefixes.
>
> For what it's worth, the custom Lookup plugin works fine when used in a
> pattern layout string.
>
> Any thoughts on how to get the BaseConfiguration to use a custom Lookup
> plugin, or alternate ways to get the log files to appear under the webapp
> root? System properties aren't the solution since they are shared between
> webapps and we'd rather not return to the bad old days of using a different
> property for each webapp.
>
> Log4j 2 beta 8.

Any config item that is annotated with Log4j annotations has to be part of
Log4J's config dat file. I'm not not 100% sure, but I think you might have
to regenerate Log4J's config dat file. There might be a way to scan the CP
for additional code to scan...

Gary

 Thanks,