Thanks for the feedback.  I will look into Markers and MDC.

With respect to using a separate logger, it would seem I would lose the
information about what application code, eg. the class logger, is sourcing the
event.  We would like to have this information.  On top of that, it seems odd,
maybe to me only, that for this new level we have our own logger.  It seemed
reasonable to me that this new event we want to capture is just a new level.
Just like a DEBUG event is different from an INFO event.  If I define a
BUSINESS level why would that not follow the same design as the current levels?
 You wouldn't suggest having different loggers for TRACE DEBUG INFO WARN ERROR
FATAL, would you?  I think one of the reasons someone on our side is suggesting
I have separate loggers is that they think the overhead of filtering at the
appender is going to have a noticeable impact.  Our plan, at least the one I
have now in my head, is that we'll have some number of appenders in the root.
We'll then filter x < INFO events to a tracing appender, INFO <= x <= FATAL to
a logging appender, and our custom level will go to another appender.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nick