We're using log4j to log business events.  Each application needs to specify
some application key/token.  I don't want to add this key/token to our API
which creates the event as that data is static for each application and thus
should not have to appear in the API.  I'm looking for some way to define this
token/key somewhere, ideally configuration, and I then need to be able to read
it from a custom layout.  What would be the best way to do this?

I looked over the MDC and I don't think I need to store it there as this
information is global/static to the application.  I think you can define system
properties within the config but I'm not sure how to access those from a custom
layout plugin.

Thanks
Nick