Then perhaps we should keep the node tree and expose it for this kind of
queries, something like this:

String hostname = loggerContext.getConfiguration().
getAttributesForAppender("syslogAppender").get("host");

This would require a new method in
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.config.Configuration:

public Map<String, String> getAttributesForAppender(String appenderName);