From: nic...@msn.com
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: RE: controlling the status logger output?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 11:19:59 -0500

I was asking about what's getting logged as I figured we shouldn't have that
much in there to be too worried about disk space consumption.  The appender in
question is an https appender we wrote.  If it encounters an exception is calls
LOGGER.error().  We should have some throttling around that such that we don't
generate 1-for-1 errors for each exception we encounter since a problem with
the https endpoint could flood the system, but we don't have that throttling
yet.  We're redirecting stdout now which is why we're running into some disk
consumption issue.  Is there a safe way to implement rolling the file without
the generating app knowing about it?  Wouldn't I potentially be deleting the
file contents out from under it?

I have a related question, does log4j2 have some throttling of its own?  If I
removed the LOGGER.error() and just let the exception bubble up to log4j2,
would it throttle those errors?  I think I was investigating this earlier and
noticed some throttling but can't be sure.

...<some time going by while I'm thinking>...

I guess we could write our own application which takes stdin and writes to
files and this could do the rolling file work.  I would think something like
that might already exist in linux.

Thanks,
Nick