Basically we are hosting distributed systems for our clients. So we have
several dozens of JVM per physical host, and several dozens of physical
hosts. Moreover some clients are sometimes moved from one machine to
another so having a single configuration file is a very huge requirement.

Having the file that rolls precisely at midnight is a nice to have. Having
the rolling that happen a little later because of randomization can be
accepted if it solve the performance issue (which stay pretty short, it's
about 15 seconds during which we can experience a few hundreds of
milliseconds long stalls but this is already too much in our industry )

Randomization is a common technique for that kind of issue, used in
congestion avoidance in some network protocols for example (including
Ethernet ). Having 2 or 3 jvm that roll at the same time is not a big deal,
we have enough free cpu cycles for that. That's why randomization during a
few minutes seems OK to me : we don't need to annihilate collisions,
greatly reduce them is OK

Basically I'm open to any solution as long as it can be deployed everywhere
without any OS/shell dependant trick and it does not involve any kind of
per JVM configuration. The patch I submitted is an option, but I'd be glad
to use another option that match these requirements.

Regards,
Anthony