Ralph,

On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 6:21 PM Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Even if getAppender() were to bypass the AppenderWrapper it would still return
> org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.FileAppender, not
> org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.
> Are you proposing that getAppender return a proxy for
> org.apache.log4j.FileAppender?

No, my proposition doesn't apply to this case. If a user wants to use
a standard Log4j 1.x appender, he should get an AppenderWrapper of the
corresponding Log4j 2.x appender: the Log4j 1.x emulation must have
its limits.

However if a user wants to use a custom appender extending
`org.apache.log4j.FileAppender`, then `getAppender` returns an
AppenderWrapper of an AppenderAdapter of the custom appender.
Converting back and forth between Log4j 1.x appenders and Log4j 2.x
appenders is a little bit too much. `getAppender` should just return
the custom appender.

Piotr