Hi all,

not sure whether I find an audience big enough or whether we need to
expand this to the user list.

One option to get out of the oldkey/newkey problems mentioned in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4NET-397 would be to make the
move to a log4net2 assembly.

The short term plan would be:

* branch off a 1.x branch from trunk in case we want to do a 1.2.13
  release one day

* remove the 1.x, Mono 1.x and compact framework builds

* start ripping out the .NET 1.x compatibility code as well as all
  NET_20 conditionals

* rename assembly to log4net2 - only sign it with the "new key"

* create log4net assemblies holding type forwarders to log4net2 -
  provide two versions with either key

* release soon

Pros:

* allows us to build all of log4net on Windows7 - right now I must keep
  an XP VM around and we all know XP will see an end of live soon.

* fixes the binding problems

Cons:

* lognet4 2.x would look like log4j 1.x not 2.x - this might confuse
  people.  Then again I don't envision us to port log4j2 any time soon
  because of our sheer lack of manpower.

* we'd lose an opportunity to remove more stuff we'd like to break
  backwards compatibility on - at least if "release soon" was taken
  seriously

WDYT?

Stefan