On 2013-10-25, Dominik Psenner wrote:

>> * the next release will be 1.3.0 and require .NET 2.0 or better

>>  I.e. we remove support for .NET 1.0 and 1.1, Compact Framework 1.0,
>>  Mono < 2.0, SSCLI and CLI 1.0 frameworks

> That's even worth a +2! ;-)

>> * the main assembly will get a new name like log4net-13.dll, only be
>>  signed by the new key

>> * we provide two assemblies named log4net.dll signed with the old and
>>  new key respecitvely that contain type forwards to the new assembly
>>  only

> I'm afraid that I can't quite grasp all the stuff we could break. We should
> definitely work out every possible usecase we may break. We have messed
> enough and should try to not raise the tempers even more.

Understood, I'll take that to the user list for a bigger audience -
maybe people will see problems that we are overlooking.

>> stuff we haven't talked about, yet:

>> * I'd like to split log4net-13.dll so that the main assembly can be used
>>  for the client profile and a separate assembly contains the stuff that
>>  requires System.Web - this way we no longer need the -cp builds.

> The client profile was dropped with .NET 4.5 and previous versions are
> automatically upgraded to include the missing DLLs once somebody runs an
> update. Thus I'm not sure if we should really split the library and double
> the required efforts.

I see.  I wasn't aware the client profile was dropped again - spending
most if not all of my working hours in Java land has made me lose track,
or so it seems.  In that case splitting the assembly doesn't make to
much sense.

And the client profile builds can be removed when log4net drops support
for .NET 4.0 ten years from now ;-)

Thanks

        Stefan