That does not work and you must set a second AssemblyInformationalVersionAttribute where only a string can be specified. It is something that can live along with the AssemblyVersionAttribute and specify additional information about the assembly. I generally use this approach to include git/hg changeset hashes of a build or more verbose information that usually doesnt fit into the version numbering scheme.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.reflection.assemblyinformationalversionattribute(v=vs.110).aspx

On 2016-09-14 17:24, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
On 2016-09-14, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

* decide on the version. I propose to use 2.0.6.0 for the next release
   for all artifacts and try getting the "informational version" right -
   this is Dominik's second proposal in
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/42a97e0190fde4d5c54700965624c35158569b85cba48facea5ed70f@%3Clog4net-dev.logging.apache.org%3E
Unfortunately I Can't do this via assembly attributes:

[csc] error CS1607: Warning as Error: Assembly generation -- The version
'1.2.15.0-.NET 3.5' specified for the 'product version' is not in the normal
'major.minor.build.revision' format

unless we suppress the warning, that is.

Stefan