Hi Justin

On 2016-09-08, Justin Taylor wrote:

> I pulled down the source.  It builds fine but the unit tests fail
> (log4net.vs2012.sln).  Is there some setup/prerequisites I've
> overlooked?

Currently the official build system is the Nant build. I personally
don't use VS so am perfectly able to break the solution without noticin
it - but I think Dominik uses this solution file. In general the
solutions are supposed to work, though.

It looks as if you were using xbuild on Mono, this is something I have
considered myself before (as NAnt doesn't support recent versions of
Mono anymore). In this case the solution doesn't hold the mono specific
defines MONO,MONO_2_0,MONO_4_0 - I'm not sure how to solve that in an
environment specific way.

> It's showing:
> Passed 121    Failed 4                Errors 31

> Running
> log4net.vs2012.log4net.Tests.vs2012.log4net.Tests.Appender.AdoNetAppenderTest.BufferingWebsiteExample
> log4net:ERROR XmlHierarchyConfigurator: Failed to construct object of type
> [log4net.Layout.PatternLayout] Exception:
> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the
> target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference
> not set to an instance of an object
>   at
> log4net.Util.PatternStringConverters.NewLinePatternConverter.ActivateOptions
> () <0x41403630 + 0x00014> in <filename unknown>:0

This should have been fixed by svn revision 1759541 - which is

https://github.com/apache/log4net/commit/32b7a3ebc4c1123ea3bf55bb257b81e5d71ad130

Cheers

        Stefan