Yet another possible solution to your problem could be to do something like:

https://www.loggly.com/blog/why-json-is-the-best-application-log-format-and-how-to-switch/

On 2016-10-24 07:39, Dominik Psenner wrote:

Ps: this might also something that you should look at.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17120943/how-add-custom-properties-in-appenderskeleton-log4net

And note too that the layoutpattern gets a applicationsetting pattern string to include application settings in the formatted logevent string. You can try that feature by building from source or by using the relerase candidate binaries.

It is unclear where these "categories" come from if the developers do not maintain them. Therefore I am not able to understand your requirements.