On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, foudil.ne...@bigfoot.com wrote:

> we start logging prior to the temporary appender creation. So if we
> set create_at_logtime and put all the temp app config in the main log
> config, l4p tries to create the temp logfile before the creation of
> the temp dir meant to contain the temp logfile...

Somehow the use of a configuration file seems to defy the purpose of
this particular use case. The configuration is usually read at start-up
and determines the program's logging behavior.

What you could do to point Log4perl at a tempfile created sometime at
runtime, is obtain a reference to the file appender the configuration
uses (or add another file appender via perl code) and use the file
appender's file_switch( $newfile ) mode to point it to a newly created
file.

This might surprise your users, though, so be warned.

-- Mike

Mike Schilli
m...@perlmeister.com