I've done no testing on this but am wondering -- could the responseparams for
the problem occur just before the closing </part> or </problem> tag so that
those are the values in force and would the other tolerance statements then
still work as intended for their hints?

Doug

Douglas Mills

Director of Instructional Technology

Department of Chemistry

University of Illinois

On 2/18/18, 1:04 PM, "lon-capa-users-boun...@mail.lon-capa.org on behalf of
Carl Lira" <lon-capa-users-boun...@mail.lon-capa.org on behalf of
l...@egr.msu.edu> wrote:

    whoops. There is a bug. The problem works correctly in the authoring
environment, but you are correct that in the production environment, the answer
tolerance gets clobbered by the value from the hint and the problem is graded
based on the hint tolerance instead of the answer tolerance. Changing the name
of the hint tolerance breaks the hint in the authoring environment.

    This is a known bug #5834. The wording there is kind of confusing, but I
see what is happening. I will add some extra comments to the bug for what I
discovered today.

    I put the problem in a test course and then looked at the problem
parameters via the spreadsheet view. There may be some easier way to see the
parameters, but I can see that for my problem the tolerance is set to 500%
which was the tolerance used for the final hint in my example.