In lists.community.perlmongers.london, you wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 12:12:33PM +0100, Cross David - dcross wrote:
>> I see that the new edtion of Linux Format comes with a copy of e-smith on
>> the CD. According to the blurb, e-smith is a "complete, easy to use and
>> install server/gateway system" that "manages mail, firewalling,
>> file-sharing, prinintg - everything you need from your server".
>
>Friend of mine recently launched http://www.rocksteady.com/

I only just got on this list, and should probably check the archives,
but I wanted to chime in for e-smith.

I work for them, and I chose to work for them because they have a bloody
nice product.  It's a slick little distro, built on lots of Perl, and
it's extensible and modular and geek-friendly under the hood, in ways
that most "server appliances" or similar distros aren't.

I use it for my home network, and I'm slowly converting lots of my geek
friends to it, and they seem to be pretty happy.  The point is: if you
don't have to spend a day figuring out how to set up your cable modem, you
have more time to hack on whatever it is that actually floats your
boat... in my case, Perl stuff.  (If setting up cable modems under Linux
*is* what floats your boat, then more power to you, but this is not the
case for most people.)

I'm speaking about it at YAPC::Europe but would also be happy to answer
any questions that anyone might have either on-list or privately.

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://infotrope.net/
Reality is for those who can't face Science Fiction.