* Aaron Trevena ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I was wondering how hard it would be to put together a mini Application
> server toolkit.

i think this is a wondeful idea and it ties into what dave hodgkinson
was talking about before about the mod_perl site.

> A pre-built apache with mod_perl, ssl, etc, template toolkit (or mason),
> perl corba module for apache (assuming it doesn't already have one) kind
> of like IBMs websphere but less massive and not proprietary.

exactly, the first thing to do is to create a core release of what
people feel you need to implement websites with Perl

maybe include MySQL or Postgres and the DBI stuff

some well used modules such as XML::Parser would also be good

then stick together a build mechanism (i recommend ant for this)

build it and put it in an rpm and get it out there

once thats done ...

maybe add some basic scripts such as website stats reporting
and/or a user registration page, database and PM to access it

then add some documentation for this specific platform

of course you need a name, I personally like Rope - its
a play on Zope and it conveys the idea that the rope is strong
because it has many strands within it

--
Greg McCarroll                          http://www.mccarroll.uklinux.net