Greg McCarroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> * Mark Fowler ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > what are O(x(n)) and O(y(n)), i'm not familiar with the x and y notation
> >
> > Okay, I was making it up on the fly; - They're meant to be the functions
> > you're implementing.  Hence O(x(n)) is running time of x on the data n,
> > and the same for y.
> >
> > I think the point I was trying to make about future programming time was
> > much more important.
> >

> ok, but it gets more interesting as take into account moores law that
> reduces the effectiveness of optmisation by halving the improvement
> of the optimization every year,

Err... Twice as fast is still twice as fast when it's running on a
processor that's twice as fast as it would have been. I now can't
remember where I read a fascinating piece on the value of more
efficient algorithms as computers got faster. But it was worth
reading. It was by that guy. Y'know, the guy who wrote that paper.

--
Piers