As I seemed to be destined to be ignored, I'll do what I should have done
and shoult a little louder:

UltraEdit32 is a really good windows editor[1] if you like the way of
Windows.  It does all the right things (in the way that perl does all the
right things) with line endings.  And a lot more (but in a good way, not
in a bloat way)

If you're on Windows and you want to be on Linux then get emacs or
whatever, which do work, but don't bitch about the people using
their metophor of choice not using emacs.  Just bitch at them for
using a shit program (e.g. notepad) and give them a really nice
windows style program (e.g. ultraedit). TMTOWTDI.

Later.

Mark.

[1] It's shareware.  It's actually the last commerical software (excluding
games) I bought.

--
print "\n",map{my$a="\n"if(length$_>6);' 'x(36-length($_)/2)."$_\n$a"} (
   Name  => 'Mark Fowler',        Title => 'Technology Developer'      ,