On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:39:17AM +0000, Struan Donald wrote:
> > One of these days I must play with the FAI (fully automatic installation)
> > stuff for debian.
> kickstart is (i assume) teh redhat equiv of FAI. or at least it is if
> FAI is stick floppy in system, create symlink in some magic format i
> can't quite remember on kickstart server and reboot box. go and make
> beverage of choice, come back to newly installed box.

They sound similiar.

Google reveals that what I was thinking of was Jumpstart, which is the
solaris approach to all this.

I think the FAI stuff will work with remote boot roms on the network
cards if you want to do that, too.

I don't have any info but I think FAI is fairly immature.

I just prefer a small system which makes it easy to install what you
want rather than a big one where you have to remove stuff.

I dunno.

Michael