At 11:12 13/02/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> > This is all fine but there is a big cloud. We have a new IT manager who
> > wants to bring all development into one team and use a single toolset for
> > web based applications.
>
>why dont you just track both projects for a while and get some results
>about the current productivity of both teams, say a month or two.

We don't actually have any developers and deciding what to recruit is at
the core of the issue. I covered the code development for the intranet but
I have to spend too much time on managing the process now & the job
management system sub-ed out all the development.

We could go forward with contract staff for a few months but there is
already a perception that they don't want to "waste" development in one
language by ditching it later.

>then put it into an analysis model showing the cost of moving either
>team to the others toolset and the perceived cost reductions in the
>long term supporting just one toolset.
>
>these things always need to be analysed properly rather than gut
>instincts and who can argue the best.

Agree 100% !