Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> Anyone have an opinion on VA?

VA as in the Linux Server / PC company ?

If so, I've used some of there kit - which appears very nice.  The
default install is quite good, and the machines look to have been put
together well.

Software / install support was good - i.e apart from the time difference
questions were answered by knowledgable support people

<rant about dell support>

Which Beat:

Me: How do I boot from the PERC raid controler ?

Dells support person: "No Idea the Americans deal with that"

Me: How can I install Linux on this 2450 then ?

Dells support person: "No Idea the Americans deal with that"

Me: Can you give me a name or number for the American Dell Linux team ?

Dells support person: "No"

Me: How helpfull, I was under the impression that you supported Linux on
this line ?

Dells support person: "Not yet"

Me: Tell that to your sales staff, as they sold it as such...... CLICK

<rant over>

VA also use quality kit that has open source drivers unlike Dell's PERC
controllers in the 2450's - although that may have chnaged now.

I now source stuff from www.dnuk.com (they use mostly the same
components as VA).

Usually disclaimes apply ....

Greg