On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Michael Stevens wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 10:18:53PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> > You _do_ realise that I've now put the trademark notice on all of the
> > london.pm web pages :)
>
> Anyone know if we could ACTUALLY trademark this?

---
To be registrable a trade mark must be:

distinctive for the goods/services
for which registration is sought,

and

not deceptive, or contrary to law or morality,

and

not identical or similar to any earlier marks for
the same or similar goods/services.
---
(http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/definition.htm)

Unless you interpret that third criterion to mean that
O'Reilly have a blanket trademark on all phrases of the class:

"The use of $THING in association with the Perl language..."

then I see no reason (except the bureacratic hassles) why
it shouldn't be trademarkable, though IANAL...

jon