On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:45:34PM -0000, Jim Gillespie wrote:

>My main beef with CVS (and ClearCase) is that there doesn't seem to be any
>way to access the release string programatically - I can tag all my source
>as "FOO_R1-0" or whatever, but I can't tell from within the source that it
>has been so tagged.  Unless someone knows different?

You can get the _numeric_ version tag with $Version: $ (or whatever it is),
in CVS at least, but I assume you already knew that.

You can't have the symbolic tag, because it's entirely possible to have
more than one symbolic tag applying to the same version of the source
code - say, the large static module that's not in a part of the tree that's
being worked on very much...

Roger