> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, David Cantrell wrote:

> > > I thought one of the goals of this project was to support "dribbling
> > > idiots"?
> >
> > Idiots maybe, but not those who are sooo lacking in necessary skills
that
> > they are scared by gzipped tarballs.  Don't forget, these morons are
> > going to have to know how to get the files to their server, do the
> > appropriate chmodding, tweak config variables in the script - if you're
> > clueless enough to be scared off by .tar.gz then you're guaranteed to
> > fail anyway.

Seems to me you don't really understand windows very well :-)

ws-ftp/ ftp explorer - drag and drop files onto your server

chmod - who needs that, the directory is executable already, all files are
too.

tweak config files - notepad will allow the user to either add or remove a #
from the appropriate lines in the file - these will be marked.

.tar.gz - wtf is that, why isn't there a zip file.

People keep misunderstanding this point: just because someone is using
windows/mac doesn't make them a moron. They may well be, but I know quite a
few unix morons too. It is a different skillset.

If a Mac user is trying to set up some perl scripts on a windows machine, he
may well have had no exposure to .tar.gz files (hqx, sit, zip, pak, arc
maybe). Files should be available in the format that is most commonly used
for the OS.

</rant>

/Robert

BTW - I've just had some fun trying to uncompress a .zip file on Linux!  tar
gzip and gunzip don't seem to want to know. Guess that makes me a luser!